Once again, a Labor Center is under attack. The UMass Amherst Labor Center, one of the country's foremost labor programs, is being essentially dismembered, and its Director, Eve Weinbaum, forced out of her position. The university administration has decided that all its programs must be net revenuw generators.
The letter below from Prof. Weinbaum explains the situation, and tells how you can help.
Dear friends,
I hope you’re all well and enjoying the very end of summer. I wish I were writing with uplifting news about how well things are going at UMass Amherst, but unfortunately, as some of you have heard, the Labor Center has not had a good year.
As you probably know, the UMass Amherst administration has been cutting the Labor Center’s budget for many years, and on several occasions planned to eliminate the Labor Studies program. As Director, I have spent time building support among other UMass faculty, the labor movement, and legislators, to convince the administration of the importance of the Labor Center. We have had to fight for our survival many times over the past decade.
Read full article